Thursday, January 5, 2023

Furry Gnomes Galore!

Every place I've looked this Christmas Furry Gnome relatives have been appearing.  I didn't realize I had so many relatives around town!  It's been fun spotting these, though since I got my own nickname nearly 50 years ago, I think I'm definitely ahead of this curve!

Our Christmas card this year featured a furry gnome couple, riding home for Christmas on the back of an old pick-up truck.

And when Mrs. F.G. went to buy more stamps, there was another furry fellow, in fact whole sheets of his picture.  We even had furry gnome wrapping paper, though in my rush to open more presents I failed to get a picture of that.

Then when I got into bed Christmas night, I discovered one more present - a fresh new bright red pillow case, featuring guess who!

Back to bed the next day and what should I find but another Furry Gnome pillowcase!

And finally, my big present, sitting on the windowsill, a Furry Gnome silhouette, cut out of sheet steel.  He's already outside keeping an eye on the garden.

****

Our snow is almost gone here, with temperatures above freezing since just after Christmas.  On two days it has reached 10°C, unheard of for January here!  A very far cry from last weekend's blizzard.  So we got dinners rescheduled and went out for New Year's Eve dinner at lunch on the day before, at the Harrison Park restaurant.  We had a full turkey dinner with all the trimmings.  That restaurant has done a good job of spreading their tables out and putting in a few tasteful barriers, so we certainly didn't feel crowded.  

And I'm pleased to report that this restaurant has dramatically improved the accessibility of its front door.  When previously the door buttons were such that you got trapped in a vestibule trying to press the second button and open the second door, now one larger button opens both doors, which stay open long enough for you to ride right through.

On New Year's Eve itself we finally had Christmas dinner for lunch with our son and daughter-in-law from over near Lake Huron.  It was homemade lasagna, and it was delicious!  Perhaps you don't know the work that goes in to making true homemade Italian lasagna.  It's a two-day event in the kitchen, one day devoted to making the sauce, and the next the lasagna itself - but nothing tastes so good!

Again I wish you the happiest of New Years, and may it be prosperous and healthy for you.









17 comments:

  1. I love the gnome silhouette on your deck. Was it a commission?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The silhouette, a masterpiece added to your garden. Wheelchair access, our son in law is finding that out in the far south. When they fly up to us, the battery has to go in the top with them, not in the luggage compartment. we shall see how he manages in our home in 2 weeks.Luckily when we moved in and did alterations, the main bathroom has a large walk in shower, easily accessible. The gnomes, they must be very popular !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love seeing the Mrs. Gnome...a first for me to see! These are great...shall I tell you I gave a pottery furry gnome (the beard was cotton) which also was a bell with some jingle bells on the top as well as on the bell's clapper...my friend said she couldn't put it away with the rest of the ornaments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you sure they're relatives and, since you're somewhat famous, not representations of you -- and there's even a statue in the form of the silhouette. Glad to hear that accessibility is improving; one place at a time but they do add up even if much too slowly. It's warm (actually hot) down here, 54 degrees at the house yesterday and our snow is now long gone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Christmas gifts definitely had a theme this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your nickname - and love that there are so many of your "relatives" around!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your gnomes! Those little creatures get around!

    The lasagna sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, they are everywhere these days, and I never see one without thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved seeing all of these gnomes.

    So pleased you finally had Christmas dinner for lunch with your son and daughter-in-law :)

    Enjoy your weekend.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Besides myself, I think readers would be interested in the story behind how you got the name 'Furry Gnome'. I've always like Elves, Fairies, and Gnomes. Even furry Gnomes:))

    ReplyDelete
  11. you are a popular guy, i really like the first picture since it featured the mrs. very cool stamps, and i love the silhouette!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gnomes are the flavour of the year. Enjoy the images near you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gnomes were everywhere in the Christmas deco this year. Happiest of New Years to you and Mrs. FG.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy New Year! We have a delivery person, he's got a great beard and long hair. He delivered my Birthday present!

    ReplyDelete