Friday, August 3, 2012

2nd Broods

A number of birds around the yard - those like chipping sparrows, the house wren, robins, and mourning doves, which all nest comfortably close to people - have now brought off their 2nd broods, another sign that the seasons are changing.


Our cabin has large hemlock beams that stick out at the ends where the robins and doves like to nest every year. One day recently I was up the ladder under the roof repairing a window frame, when I looked over my shoulder and there was a mourning dove - sitting on her nest, less than 2 feet from my head. She just sat there frozen, while I climbed down the ladder and climbed back up with my camera. I just took one shot, not wanting to bother her, but I've never been so close to a nesting bird!

No comments:

Post a Comment