Monday, March 21, 2022

Surprise Surprise!

Wheelchair cushions should be replaced every couple of years or so, but they're quite expensive (up to $1000.00), so it's an important decision.  It's not just for comfort either.  As I'm paralyzed from the chest down, I theoretically can't feel my butt anyway.  But I do have a vague sense of feeling while sitting in my chair, and like all wheelchair users, I have a high risk for skin breakdowns.  One of the biggest risks is over my tailbone where the muscle mass between bone and skin is very thin and where my body hits the chair cushion.

So we had both an Occupational Therapist and a seating expert from the company that would supply a new cushion here for half the morning today, measuring, talking and explaining it all to us as they moved along.  There was fairly immediate agreement that my cushion needed replacing; after 2.5 years it was overdue.

But it's worth interjecting here to explain to you the bureaucratic process around this.  We have very little choice in this process, something we don't object to since the government is paying for it.  If the government is paying for it, we'll live with the process, though we do get some choice in the product, like what colour chair I want.  The chair belongs to the government and goes back to them when I'm finished with it.

Both my Occupational Therapist or OT (who decides on things like the wheelchair you need) and the company (which sells me the chair and cushion) are assigned to me, right from the beginning.  There's no such thing as deciding which vendor you'll turn to.  The government funding flows through a program called the Adaptive Devices Program or ADP (which deals with all adaptive devices, not just wheelchairs).

The OT fills in the application to the ADP, while the company rep provides the parameters of what's actually available in chairs and cushions that would fit.  Obviously it's important for them to agree.  The government will not pay the total bill, our insurance will kick in for part and we have to pay part as well.  And don't ask how much an entire new power chair can cost!

My current power chair, 
when it was still clean.
Mrs. F.G.'s purse is in blue.

So the discussion about my cushion went on for some time while we listened.  They quickly agreed it needed replacing, but they also agreed it wasn't fitting properly at all.  Apparently it's too short from back to front for my butt to fit properly, and it's now too narrow as well, since I've got fat and my legs have splayed out to be wider since all this started (your body goes to hell when you're paralyzed).

They then spent some time discussing how it could be made to fit, and to make a quite long story very short, they decided that it could not be made to fit in this wheelchair!  I need a new chair!

Needless to say, this was a big surprise for us.  We simply want to be sure my cushion fits properly, but if the cushion comes with a new chair attached, who are we to argue?  And the new chairs today are considerably quieter than this one, something that we will both happily welcome.  If you're interested they are recommending a Sunrise Quickie Q500m chair.

This will likely be a long process, regardless of how it turns out.  A wheelchair technician will come shortly and fit a new cushion in this wheelchair.  They are concerned enough to want that changed immediately.  Then the company will  put together a trial chair, and bring it with two or three cushions for fitting.  We'll look at all the 101 choices you have to make for the new chair and cushion to be ordered.  

In the meantime the OT is preparing and submitting the application to the ADP.  At some point these processes come together if this is all to be approved, and perhaps 3-6 months later I will get my new chair and cushion, - if all goes well between now and then.

I will keep you informed.





23 comments:

  1. I thought the choice would be so easy!!!! Not so, there are so many options, and the new models offer so much.Just think, you can link up all those devices, have a choice of cushions, maybe not the colour, but I was surprised to see the price, nowhere near as expensive as I had thought it would be. Like all good things, including my second cataract surgery, government funded too, they take time. Meantime a new cushion designed for your own individual seating will be a huge improvement.You should get it in time for some enjoyable outdoor summer rides.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The price you may have seen if you looked up the chair is a fraction of the total after they add all the features I need!

      Delete
  2. I'm glad to hear that they will be fitting you with an interim cushion. It sounds like it will make your life much more pleasant, even if it doesn't actually feel any different. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow who would have thought it was so hard to just get a new cushion for your chair and so expensive!!! Happy to hear though that you will be getting a whole new chair with your new cushion!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The new cushion will be good for your rear. Will your new chair be a smart chair so that all you'll have to do is punch in the coordinates of where you want to go and it will take you there? I hope not or it may be like a certain model of electric car that does its own thing which sometime isn't so good for the occupants.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is quite a lengthy process. One doesn’t realize all the fitting and considerations which go into getting the right fit and function of a wheelchair.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is quite a process to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely a process. I hope this new cushion, at least temporarily, gives you a better fit.

    I hope too, that the new chair doesn't take forever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thee ae many hoops to go through. It sounds like these people rally advocate for the client.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A long time ago, I worked in a spinal cord injury hospital. I am glad they are paying close attention to the important stuff. And as for choosing vendors, here's hoping you have an attentive government agency as well. I'm not sure I'd be able to pick the best one. It's all complicated!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We were going through the process of getting my husband his first chair when he suddenly passed away. We couldn't believe what a process it was to get it just right. And that was almost twenty years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice that 'they' are concerned that you have the right chair, cushion, and whatever else you need.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you are being looked after, hope the time goes quickly for the process.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It seems much more related than it is for hearing aids, but I seem to think that they cover more of your cost. As the cost of hearing aids has escalated, the amount that the government pays has remainder flat. I am not complaining, just stating, for you need all of the support that you can get. All the best with the new chair, whenever it comes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm a bit amazed at the procedure for a new cushion having turned into a new chair...but it may also be something to do with how your body has changed since becoming paralyzed. I hope the new chair comes along quickly, now that you know you need it! Government agencies are often complained about, after all. But having most of the cost covered does help.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You do have a good health care program and I am glad that they really care about your health and comfort. I was going to suggest just buying some firm foam cushions and having a tailor cover them!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm very happy to hear that your needs are being tended to aside from what Mrs. F. G. Does daily. 😊
    I would never imagine so much was involved but yay! A new chair is great!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. when i came home from rehab, i received a special cushion for my wheelchair. all of my supplies (there were a lot) were delivered to the rehab center before i was discharged. the girls in the rehab center told me it was a very good cushion and i was never charged for it!!

    i have mad respect for you, i hope you know that. the time i spent in that chair was the most difficult of my life!! i was so lucky to recover from my MS episode!! mad respect for mrs. fg too, i am so glad you have each other!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am sure it is a lengthy process, hope the cushion helps to protect your bottom until you get the new chair!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It certainly sounds a lengthy process but pleased to read that eventually everything will be sorted and you should be more comfortable.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  20. I looked to see if anyone else had said this but no, so I have to ask: Who thought that Sunrise Quickie was a good name? It reminds me of the song "Afternoon Delight!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. It was the first thought that came into my mind. You'd have to contact Sunrise and ask them!

      Delete
  21. Hi to both of you, this was really interesting - thanks for sharing. You look well in the picture.
    C

    ReplyDelete