Wednesday, September 30, 2026

In Memory of the Children.

Today we stop and remember those indigenous children who were forced to attend residential schools here in Canada.  For over 100 years children were removed from scattered indigenous communities (forcibly if necessary) so they could be stripped of the culture and language, 'beatting the Indian out of the child'.  Several thousand died in the process and were buried in unmarked graves.

The story I remember, the story that makes today 'Orange Shirt Day', came from Phyllis Webstad, of the Dog Creek reserve in northern B.C.  Like many 6 year olds, she was excited to attend her first day of school, and her grandmother had purchased a bright orange shirt for her to wear.  But when she arrived at the school she was stripped, bathed, and her long hair shaved off.  She was not allowed to speak her own language.  Presumably all the clothing was burned.

It took Phyllis 40 years and years of therapy before she spoke out about this, which she did at a gathering in 2013.  The image immediately caught on, and the orange shirt became a symbol, while 'Every Child Matters' became the slogan.  I have loved this image since I first saw it.  The federal government formalized this as the National Day for Truth and Reconciliation/

 So take a moment to remember, not only the children who died, but the thousands more who lost their culture, language and connections to family.because of the residential school system.





7 comments:

  1. Remembering is what Phyllis maybe strived for all those years ago, fairness, recognition and not to be stripped of family culture passed down through the generations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really awful what happened and how it went on for so long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These stories always make me so sad and so angry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We will remember and honour those who, through no fault of their own, had their lives taken away from them and for the families impacted by the atrocities of the residential schools. It is the very least we can do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I taught in one of those residential schools . Inuvik had about 500 kids in residence. I learned much from the old pilots who went out to the settlements to pick these kids up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think of my friend who suffered at a residential school. We lost touch. I hope she did okay.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you FG. A few months ago I found a book titled "Carving Space". I thought it was a book about wood-carving, and I've done some of that, so I looked into it further. No, it's not about wood carving ... it's about carving/creating your own space. And specifically carving that space by native/indigenous people, carving their own space, and the book is written by those people. It's a book about them, written by them ... not by white people. My local library borrowed the book for me, but I loved it so much that I bought the book. Most of you folks reading here are Canadians and understand this. Down here in the USA, not so much. Thank you FG.

    ReplyDelete