We have had Monarch butterflies fluttering around the garden all summer long, attracted we hope, to the numerous Milkweed plants that Mrs.F.G. has allowed to flourish. I've never managed a good photograph of one; the one below is one of the worst photos of Monarchs I've ever taken. But it proves they were here!
This photo was taken through the window and heavily cropped about five weeks ago. The challenge of course is to find the eggs, always on the underside of Milkweeds leaves. Monarchs will feed from any flower, but the caterpillars need Milkweed leaves.
And just a few days later, here it is, munching away. However we have not found any chrysalis, nor have we seen fresh new butterflies fluttering around. Never-the-less, we hope we contributing to their survival by having lots of Milkweed.
And here's one of my better photos from the past.



A lot of my shots are just proof shots that prove that I did see the one I am talking about. I am having problems with goldfinches. I see them a lot and have two poor shots of them. We use to have the migratory route through here but it has moved west along the Missouri River.
ReplyDeleteThey sure are pretty butterflies. I've only seen a couple around this year.
ReplyDeleteIt has been many years since I last saw a Monarch caterpillar and the decline in Monarch Butterflies has been very noticeable these past few years. I think that is great that you folks purposely grow milkweed plants at your place. Those poor Monarchs need all the help they can get.
ReplyDeleteIn my mind, they are the Queens of all butterflies. I have so enjoyed seeing them grow, develop, and then the miracle when they emerge.Your photos show their strips and the wing details beautifully.
ReplyDeleteI saw one or two down by the river last week. It made me happy.
ReplyDeleteI even like your worst photo, FG, ha! But I like your better photo best. And I love the caterpillar photos, especially that one that is so clear. More stuff in life that I don't know about. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful butterfly!
ReplyDeleteWe have lots of monarchs here and love to watch them playing together. We’ve seen a few caterpillars and lots of evidence of them on the milkweed leaves. Have yet to find a chrysalis - they hide them well.
ReplyDeleteLucky you! I don't think I've seen more than a few Monarchs in my life. I do know some people grow milkweed in the province, but I"m not one of them.
ReplyDeleteIt is always a thrill to see them.
ReplyDeleteIt's always so nice to see them and I enjoyed all of your photographs here.
ReplyDeleteAll the best Jan
We have milkweed and a few monarchs, but not a single caterpillar -- sad state of affairs.
ReplyDelete