Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Yet Another Walk in the Woods

The other day I joined a friend at his own place out in the country for another snowshoe walk.  It was a short and peaceful walk in a very different sort of woods, but it still took us over an hour.  And I enjoyed the wildlife!

The property backs onto the Bighead River, which was mostly frozen, but we had to step gingerly over this small stream to start our walk.

There were Wild Turkey tracks all over the place, and I thought we might see at least one.  They often walk in single-file, so leave more of a track than individual birds. 

A number of the spruce trees had piles of shavings from squirrels tearing the cones apart for the seeds.

I think this magnificent old Beech tree is one of the most beautiful trees I've seen.

And this enormous old Hemlock, now dead, is home to a Porcupine.  We actually saw it in the back of that open hollow, but it snuggled down lower so I couldn't get a picture.

 We tramped around the back corner of the woods, to the fence that used to separate it from a pasture.  A line of big old Sugar Maples marks the edge.


And then into the White Pine plantation, which my friend planted about 25 years ago.

There's something about all the bits of snow caught up in the branches of pine trees after a light fluffy snowfall!

Then we saw the first Turkey - but at a distance.  Can you see it behind the trees, walking along the edge of the field?  We ended up seeing two more cross the trail in front of us in the distance.  I also caught a glimpse of a big owl fly away out of the top of a tree.  We had heard one a few nights ago; they've started nesting here.

Then it was back down to the river, gently across the stream, and home.  A long and peaceful walk because we stopped often and just enjoyed the peace and quiet.

****

Tomorrow we head for my next enforced medical 'vacation' in London.  This is the big one; I'm sure I'll have an interesting story to tell after I recover.  all thoughts, prayers, and crossed toes will be gratefully accepted.  I'll be gone for a week or ten days, and maybe back here in two weeks.  Try not to miss me too much!




40 comments:

  1. Some more wonderful photos of your walk in the winter woods.
    Sending some good thoughts and prayers in your direction too.
    Will keep an eye open for your next update posting

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so enjoy these tramps through the woods!
    Good luck with your next procedure - looking forward to more tramps soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice walk through the woods. I shall be thinking good thoughts and saying a few prayers for a good outcome on your forced vacation:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A vacation like no other, by the writing today. All fingers and toes in awkward positions, and a heap of caring thoughts, good wishes and many prayers winging north. Mrs F.G., will you keep us posted please with good news.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty and varied. Love the way the Sugar Maples look in the snow - sort of sugary!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a magnificent tree, all right. I hope it all goes well for you and will anxiously await your return to my news feed. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that fifth shot. Lacing the hikers now. (As a Floridian, I have ask what I should wear)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful birch tree. It looks like a painting with the white snow layered on the branches just so perfectly. Nature is amazing!
    The white pines are also lovely the way their honey coloured trunks stand so stately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry, I was remiss in wishing you good luck with your procedure tomorrow. enjoy the 'vacation' and happy healing. You will be in our prayers and thoughts that all goes well.

      Delete
  9. Lovely photos . A pretty quiet looking place to walk and enjoy . It is warm here +6 and raining puddles everywhere snow melting fast trees dripping with rain and snow melt. Thanks for sharing , Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  10. All the best in London, prayers and everything that can be crossed is crossed. Will be looking for your return.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful Pictures of the peace and serenity that one can see in the winter.
    We'll keep you and your family in our prayers for a speedy recovery.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good luck with the surgery.

    Yes, I can see that turkey.

    The white pines are particularly photogenic!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck with the surgery. A beautiful walk you had. Lovely images!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a wonderful winter walk. The sort that I enjoy.
    The trees are beautiful. Today I was also admiring how snow piles on needles and branches.

    Wishing you a successful and grace filled surgery.
    Swift healing to you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. All the best to you on your "vacation" -- we'll be awaiting your return.

    ReplyDelete
  16. More beautiful photos. Those rows of the pines are pretty.
    I will be praying for you that all goes well and for a quick recovery. Also praying Mrs FG and the doctors.
    Look forward to your return.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgot the 'for' in front of mrs FG
      And yes, I did see the turkey.

      Delete
  17. Good to see evidence of the wildlife. We get lots of turkeys here too in the country parts and they just wander around doing their own thing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is a lot of snow! I really like the beech tree, too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. gorgeous captures!! toes are crossed for much success with your surgery today. it's a good time to take a rest but i will miss all of your beautiful snow images!! best wishes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hope everything goes well in London. Good luck and may you have a speedy and complete recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I loved seeing your photos. I have similar woods and love my walks spying whatever is out there. Good luck too with your medical concerns.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the beech- prayers for a successful medical event and speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey Stu you almost slipped through the cracks on me but taking a few photos this morning of some mushrooms I remembered your post about your upcoming medical hurdles. Better get through them Okay because it's sweltering down here in Florida and I need you to get out there and get some more great snowy cold winter photos to get me cooled off down here. All the best and we'll see ya on the rebound................

    ReplyDelete
  24. All the best. Such a beautiful walk. We just had a big trip for healthcare.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have not yet had snow boots on my feet, but without them such a beautiful walk as you probably would have been. Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love the monochrome effect and the play of light an=on the snow. Sincere wishes for your successful recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What beautiful wintery photos! I made the mistake once of walking in deep snow with out wearing snowshoes and sank up to my waist. I was fortunate someone was passing by and able to pull me out.

    I hope all goes well for your "medical vacation"! I will keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Breathtaking images. I, too, like the old Beech tree. Interesting branches.
    Good thoughts going out to you
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  29. Gorgeous photos! And excellent commentary. I love learning new things and always do with your posts.
    My very best wishes for a successful "vacation". Hope you are home and kicking around asap.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Trees and snow and that lovely shade of ice blue - altogether a lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hope all is going well for you, FG.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Good thoughts to you Furry....
    Cheers!
    Linda:o)

    ReplyDelete
  33. We're still keeping an eye out for ya Stu.............

    ReplyDelete
  34. I hope your recovery has turned around and you are doing okay.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great article..I am looking so forward to your blogcomment and
    I love your page on your post.. That is so pretty..
    ดูหนัง

    ReplyDelete