Monday, January 15, 2018

Harrison Park, Owen Sound

Harrison Park in Owen Sound is probably the nicest municipal park that I know of.  Given to the city by John and Emma Harrison in 1912, it had been John's personal project in the late 1800's, known as Harrison's Pleasure Grounds.  It appeals to me both because the Sydenham River runs through it, and all the slopes around the edge of the park are still forested.  And there's a great restaurant!

At the moment the Christmas decorations are still up.  there are a lot of lights at night,

Picnic tables waiting for spring.

One hundred years ago a 'Mile Drive' was laid circling the outer edge of the park at the bottom of the steep slopes.  I expect it was initially used by horses and carriages.  I remember driving with my grandmother around this loop when I was a young child.  Now it's a popular walking trail.

At the same time they created a secondary shallow river channel that children can wade in - which I did as a very young child!  Not at this time of year though.

The restaurant has always been a popular heart of the park, and the times I've eaten there the food has been excellent.  I highly recommend it.

Now they've added some fancy new playground equipment like these musical chimes, which were clanging gently in the breeze.

And an outdoor rink with artificial ice no less, that doubles as a basketball court in the summer.  Occasional warm days over the winter play havoc with natural outdoor ice rinks here, so this is a great improvement, though expensive.

But my favourite feature is Weaver's Creek and falls.  I'll share some pictures of that tomorrow.  I'll undoubtedly be visiting Owen Sound and walking the trails of Harrison Park regularly over the next few years, and perhaps having lunch there too occasionally!

13 comments:

  1. What a nice place to visit! Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to have such a lovely place with such things to look forward to. Those picnic tables will need a little time to thaw! Great pictures, FG. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Outdoor skating rink, I remember when the " Ice Follies" had their show in Auckland, ( Rose Marie on ice with the Canadian Mounted Police, I remember it as if it was today, their red jackets, and arms linked as they skated in a circle, about 1950? or so) and the way the underfloor wires had to be installed to keep the ice frozen, so this rink would be no doubt kept frozen in a similar way. But nature would lend a hand as well. What a truly beautiful place, and those chimes, in summer they would be so lovely to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great place for a walk, FG. It is a four season park for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's something I'll never see in real life - if I ever visit, which is doubtful, I'm coming in summer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet it's a popular spot in Spring and Summer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, looks like a nice park for the community. Happy Tuesday, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These scenes are so alien to this Floridian. As in...what world is this from hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  9. That does look like a nice park. Is the first tree natural, but trimmed? Weird.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is always the heart to a small community that attracts people and that seems to be it.
    Be safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful park especially in the winter. You guys really do have lots of snow!

    ReplyDelete
  12. you had me at restaurant, but it does look like a wonderful park!!

    ReplyDelete