Saturday, December 9, 2017

The Moods of Georgian Bay

Even in the years before we moved here, on my occasional visits to Meaford, I've been impressed with the many moods of Georgian Bay.  I think you'll likely see a lot of different moods in my photos in the future as I watch to capture the changing skies and water.  At this time of year an awful lot of those skies seem mostly grey!

I've been down to the harbour a couple of times this week.  It makes a nice walk from one end of the public waterfront out to the breakwater lookout, and back again.

I'm slowly gathering photos of Meaford's 'Big Red Chairs' too.  Once I have them all, I'll tell you the story.

There's obviously a pair of geese in the beach area.  Nothing else would have tracks this big at this time of year - about 4" across.

I turned around and there they were, headed straight for me.  This one stopped a couple of feet away, obviously used to being fed here.

I left the geese behind and walked over to the main harbour.  What a change from two days ago.  Much of the harbour behind the breakwall is now frozen, not very thick, but it's ice.  These ice flows seem typical out in the area where the wind can break it up; they'll freeze, break and refreeze for the next 2-3 months.

This was the view two days ago.

And the same view today.

Looking the opposite direction, two days ago it was a little rough, with waves rolling in and splashing on the rocks.

But today it was almost like glass - the moods of the bay change constantly.

I ended my walk over at the Coast Guard Station, where these two Cape-class boats are out of the water for the winter.  The Cape Providence is based here much of the summer, and patrols Georgian Bay, while Cape Thunder patrols Lake Erie and lower Lake Huron.  It's only here for the winter.

I'm off for my enforced "vacation" tomorrow.  I hope to be back in about a week.  I'll be thinking of all of you.


23 comments:

  1. Sure is nice living so close to the Great Lakes isn't it. The coast guard vessel Cape Discovery has been missing from it's dock side berth in Goderich and when I saw the photo of those two red coast guard vessels I thought one of them might have been the Discovery. But nope, so I don't know where it has gone for it's winter berth. Enjoy your week.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do hope all goes well during your "vacation." I look forward to your return. Thanks for the great pictures of Georgian Bay. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really outstanding place, and such wonderful thoughts and photos. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The red chair photo is exceptional. Enjoy your vacation, FG.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks cold and lonely...and I love the Red Chair Photo, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A vacation of a different kind, hoping all is well with you afterwards, and rest up as directed!!! Love those ice photos. And the Red Chairs, looking forward to their story. Many good wishes from a hot southern part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interesting. I do like the changing scenes of any body of water----whether it be my pond or the Bay. So cold there to have those big chunks of ice in the water.
    Enjoy your vacation
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, pretty snowy scenes. I love the big red chair and the geese. Looks very cold there. Happy Sunday, enjoy your day and new week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is actually sad that the geese become so used to being fed they give up their natural habits of foraging and flying to warmer climates which diminishes their chance of survival.
    Always great pictures with thought put into the composition. Enjoy your vacation and who knows someday it may not be forced.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the first picture the best. The purity of the white snow on the rocks takes your breath away. I can enjoy it from here in the warmth of the Arizona sun. :)
    Cool to capture the geese-prints and the red chair. Can't wait for the story.
    Good luck on your 'vacay'.

    ReplyDelete
  11. the second image is my favorite, enjoy your time away!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Neat picture of the snow covered rocks.
    Love the big red chair. It sure stands out in the white snow and so does the two red boats.
    Will be praying all goes well on your 'vacation.'

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope things go smoothly for you with the doctors.

    I wonder if there's a river there that stays open, hence the geese sticking around, unless they're from further north and are just pausing for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  14. All the best on your "vacation", we'll be waiting for you. Those boats are beautiful, I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that there are larger boats that patrol into the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely photos!
    Let us know how things go!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the red boats. You do have an interesting sets of landforms and lake to give you a large variety of shots. We have Canadas the winter over here now. They didn't do that 20 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the red chair! You have more snow than we do! I hope your forced vacation goes well:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Having water nearby is great for people who appreciate changing moods. Best on the coming week.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful pictures of the Bay there. I have great memories back in the 50's at our cottage near Collingwood around Christmas, out on the Bay clearing snow off the ice, skating and playing hockey, further out great mountains of ice that froze coming in over the shoals, wish I had pictures from back then.

    ReplyDelete
  20. They look like our Coast Guard ships. They also have a Zodiac that zips around a lot. - Margy

    ReplyDelete