Thursday, November 16, 2017

Slow Flights

We made it home again last night, at about 2 in the morning, after an accumulated 5 hours of flights delays in Abbotsford and Edmonton.  It eventually became a comedy of errors, but we made it.  (It was winter in Edmonton, with snow and -16°C or 3°F).

We had three glimpses of the ground, here in Abbotsford before entering the cloud layer, in Edmonton and then in Toronto as we descended from the clouds.  A total of about three minutes.  And then it rained all the way home, a two hour drive at midnight.  Thank goodness traffic was light at that hour after we got away from Toronto.  That's Sumas Mountain, one of the low foothills (covered with great mountain bike trails), just NE of Abbotsford.

We got home to continuing rain, and no leaves left on the trees.  I'm going to have to do some raking - after the next 48 hours of rain stops!  We've flown various places in the past, quite a few flights if I count them up, and I can't remember a delay, a redirect, or an emergency in 30 years.  On the last three flights with Westjet we've had all three.

But we did try upgrading to 'Economy Plus', which only cost about $150.00, and gave us priority boarding, free food (and great service), more legroom and an empty seat made into a little table between us.  We will never fly again without doing that!  It made a painful flight quite tolerable.  I think many people don't put the cost of this sort of 'extra' in perspective.  With two flights, and a rental car for the week, the trip cost us a bit over $1500.00.  To add 10% to make the flights enjoyable in my opinion is worth it.  And it makes us much more likely to go back to see our daughter and the family sooner rather than later.

More soon, once I sort my photos out.

P.S.  The rain has turned to snow.

14 comments:

  1. Welcome back. Glad you arrived home safely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you made it home okay. That extra fee for better seats was money well spent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you made it home Safely after spending Quality Time with the Grandchildren.
    You can't put a Price tag where comfort is concerned. It's always worth every penny.
    Surprised you didn't take a hotel outside Toronto at that late hour of the night.
    Been Lucky to have all direct flights.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even with delays, a trip worth making. Welcome home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been thinking I may upgrade the next time I fly! The legroom would be worth it! Glad you are home safe & sound.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You get what you pay for is certainly true. Glad you found an economical way to make the flight less unpleasant. I haven't flown since I left the military over 50 years ago and don't ever intend to. From what friends have said flying in the States is EXTREMELY unpleasant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too go Economy Plus whenever I can. It does make a HUGE difference. Welcome home, FG! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like quite a day...I bet you were thankful when you got home!

    Cold here but no snow. But it sure did look wintry late in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not too happy with the airlines. Seems like I pay for what used to be free. Don't get me started! But yes, Economy Plus makes a huge difference. Glad you finally made it home safe and sound!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It has been pretty windy and wet out here. We are going on Alaska Airlines to Los Angeles tomorrow. It should go fine, but long trips are tiring. Wish they offered such a service. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello, knock on wood, I have never had such delays or airline problems. I am glad you arrived home safely, I hope you had a wonderful trip! Happy weekend to you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you made it home safely. Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Except for all the delays coming home it does sound like you must have had a nice visit with your daughter-----I think. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a great trip, despite the delays. That upgrade sounds good.

    ReplyDelete