Sunday, November 19, 2017

In Search of the Giant Douglas Fir

My son-in-law and grandson wanted to take me to see the giant Douglas Fir they had found.  It was a dreary day, and getting late, but we headed out to Cultus Lake Provincial Park to try and find the trail.

It wasn't a long walk, but it was uphill all the way.

I lagged along at the back, while my son-in-law hunted for the right trail.  There weren't any signs after the one at the start.

We were often walking over a carpet of Bigleaf Maple leaves - huge!'
  
This giant Douglas Fir was actually located on a short trail out of a campground - now shut for the winter.  So we were walking up campground roads until we were nearly there.

For the first time I had the feeling that I was really in the rainforest.  I've seen the moss on the trees, but this was spooky with moss, and with huge tall trees all around - and it was raining.

Then we saw it in the distance up the slope, definitely a huge tree!  Sorry for the raindrops on the camera lens!

A short distance up an unsigned footpath, through the spooky rainforest, and there we were.

This was the biggest living tree I have ever seen.  I know the Redwoods and Sequoias can outdo it, but this was amazing to all of us.  That's my grandson, with his umbrella.  Gives you some perspective on the size.

I forget that at the 49th parallel, it gets dark a lot earlier.  Suddenly it was getting dark, and I tried a flash to show up the tree.  It showed up the raindrops more!  But we had successfully found the giant Douglas Fir, one of the largest left in B.C.  A memorable adventure.  And by the way, our daughter and son-in-law are doing a great job of making their kids into outdoor kids!  Energy to burn, and never a complaint about the hiking.


16 comments:

  1. I love the big old fir! I do go on several different walks around here that have Old Growth trees, and a few of them even as bag as your grand old tree. Thanks for sharing it with me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant to say, as several of you suggested, that yes, our grandson was first up the stairs. But I didn't have to stop to rest very often!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a big one. I've seen old growth cedars and a few big firs up the coast, but that one is massive. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I live in a redwood forest so am used to the big trees. Occasionally I run into huge fir trees too as some of them can get as huge as the redwoods, they just don't seem to have the reputation that the redwoods do. But a huge fir tree is just as impressive as the big redwoods and in some ways more impressive with all the big green moss on them. Redwood trees don't seem to have all that green moss stuff for some reason.
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. Second to last photo, part of the lower trunk on the right hand side looks like an animal with its nose on the ground. What a mystical and almost eerie atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, I would love to walk these trails. The giant fir tree is beautiful and I love the moss. Great series. Happy Monday, enjoy your day and new week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That tree was worth the trek in the rain, FG.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a wonderful walk in the rain forest, that tree is huge, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. awww, those leaves made for a beautiful carpet to line the path!!

    what a big, gorgeous tree!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those trees are huge and I love the red maple leaf path.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, I would love to see it...It looks huge!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like the forests where I live!

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are huge! It's a completely different ecosystem from what I've known.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just think, 150 years ago trees that size were a dime a dozen all along the coast from Oregon through Washington and BC and into Alaska. too bad more of them weren't left standing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That looks like a beautiful place to be and explore!

    ReplyDelete