Monday, September 25, 2017

The Trail

On day two we also took time to walk round the trail on the island where French River Lodge is located.  It was a fascinating close look at the northern pine forest and its denizens - birds, trees, mushrooms, moss and lichens.

French River Lodge is a classic old fishermen's lodge, with a main building plus several cabins that provide the accommodation.  It's currently for sale if you want a unique opportunity!

They maintain a fleet of fisherman's boats, and I expect that most clients come to fish.  The old boathouse/workshop looks like a treasure trove of everything you might need to keep a place like this going.

As you can see by the picture, we walked the pink trail around the outer shore of the island.

Lots of Reindeer Moss (actually a lichen) and various lichens on the bedrock, including these foliose lichens.

Polypody Fern occupied other cracks in the bedrock.

Every now and then we had a look over Canoe Channel, our arrival and departure route.

Always more White Pine trees and those rocks.

Thanks to the keen ears and eyes of one of the expert birders in the group, we spotted a small mixed flock of feeding warblers and nuthatches - a Yellow-rumped Warbler and a Red-breasted Nuthatch.  Tomorrow I'll show you some of the numerous mushrooms that decorated the trail.

Glad some of you are enjoying this heat - but I'm not.  Can't wait for cooler weather now that summer is finally here!  Would you believe I referred to summer arriving after the "fall solstice" in my post two days ago, and none of you caught me up on it?  Talk about absent-minded!



12 comments:

  1. Guess I was too busy finding out the Burnside River in the Arctic to see, and as we call "fall" autumn down here , I didn't notice at all, Beautiful lodge, what a glorious place to stay a while or longer. And as my days of running a B&B are over, will leave the lodge for someone a bit younger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a lovey, relaxing place to stay and hike.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful photos Furry. The lodge looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks an interesting place to visit

    ReplyDelete
  5. More excellent photos and your exploring such a wonderful area.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That lodge looks intriguing. Not sure I'd want to run such a place though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks like a beautiful place!! all our feathered friends have very distinctive calls!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, I am always interested in what birds are being seen, great sightings. It is a beautiful place, I like the lodge. Happy Tuesday, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that area you visited.

    It's 29 here today. Hot for this area any time, let alone this time in Sept.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful area this is. Nice looking lodge.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree, too da-m hot. That foliose lichen looks like one of the rock tripes; they're edible but those that I've tried were like chewing on a rubber band with a similar flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's getting a bit hot for me, too. But I won't mind a little respite before the cool and wet weather returns. :-)

    ReplyDelete