Saturday, March 25, 2017

"Seagulls"

There is actually no bird species called a "seagull", even though everyone uses that name for the ubiquitous gulls (17 species of which can be seen in North America) that you find all around the Great Lakes shorelines.  So when I dropped into the Owen Sound harbour the other day, I wasn't surprised to find some gulls.

There were four ships in the Owen Sound harbour, making the Chi-Cheemaun, the ferry that runs between the Bruce Peninsula and Manitoulin Island, look relatively small.  The other three were big lake freighters, including the Algoma Olympic on the right.  I presume they were all in harbour for the winter.

It's actually their raucous call that I always associate with the Great Lakes shoreline, more than actually seeing the birds.  That screeching is always in the background, as the birds wheel around and pick up whatever they can find to eat while I usually try to ignore them.

I don't usually get photos of birds in flight, let along clear ones, but I just lifted my camera and snapped, and it worked.  These first two photos are a Herring Gull, the larger of the two common gulls we see here.

Incoming! - another gull sailing toward me.  I raised the camera and snapped three times.  I amazed myself as how clear the focus was, as these three pix are considerably cropped.

You can clearly see the black ring around the bill that marks this as a Ring-billed Gull.  They're very common, and are actually found inland as much as on the shoreline.  I often see flocks settle on fields, and there are always a herd of them around the garbage dump.

There are actually 7 gull species that have been seen in Ontario the past year according to 'ebird'.  These two species are by far the most common and the only ones that can be seen year round.  With the success of these, I think I may have to try a few more bird shots!

Linking to:

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful shots! I love the last one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto to Marie, the last one is the winner. What a sight in the harbour, great to see big and bigger there together, tied up for the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Furry...
    Great shots...I love photographing the Gulls...at the cottage, and in Florida.
    Enjoy your evening...
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Didn't know about the sea gull thing!! Nice captures, they always remind me of home!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are wonderful captures...and I knew there was different kinds of gulls, but just called them sea gulls...

    ReplyDelete
  6. If they weren't so noisy, messy and quarrelsome they'd be really beautiful (much like us humans!). Herring Gulls are common here but an occasional Ring-Bill causes some excitement among birdwatchers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, your gulls in flight shots are awesome. Love the shot of the ships! Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Sunday, enjoy your day and the new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have some great flying Gull shots there and I remember driving our big 37 foot Motorhome onto and off of the Chi-CheeMaun a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember their cries even in the farmland of Colorado which is inland by many, many, many miles.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The last one's my favourite. We have gulls around year round.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't know that about 'sea' gulls. Your gull shots are perfect and I too think the last one is the winner. : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've got some nice gull-in-flight shots, Stew.....congrats. And in viewing your last several posts, you have had some fabulous clear sunny weather, unlike the ongoing gray overcast here in the southwest. In looking at your forest photos, I imagine maple sap collecting is underway??

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are so ubiquitous around here that I hardly ever notice them. Your shots, however, are wonderful and I studied them carefully. Interesting birds. :-)

    ReplyDelete