Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Waterfall Adventures

It was another beautiful sunny spring day (well, once the fog burned off by late morning).  It was actually hot outside by mid-afternoon!  And I headed out for some waterfall adventures, chasing photographs of both Jones and Inglis Falls in Owen Sound.

The new side trail off the Bruce Trail provides unique access right to the very base of Jones Falls on the north side.  I thought there might still be a little ice, but these few days of warmth meant the falls was running high and fast, just like spring.

Of course I like trying both some 'fast' and 'slow' pictures of the water.  The above three shots were taken with a higher ISO, giving me a fast speed to try to 'stop' the water.  I like the effect, which is very much like what my human eyes are picking out.

Then there are the 'slow' shots.  I was pleased with these.  I took my tripod and in the late afternoon light was able to get the speed down to a 1/8 sec. exposure.  The tripod was also handy as a walking stick as I struggled down the trail.

I like this series of steps down the side of the waterfall that you can see so clearly when you're down in the valley. You don't see them at all from the usual viewpoint on the south side.

This huge mass of ice did still cover a boulder in mid-stream right at the base of the falls, heavily undercut by the flowing water.  I wonder how long it will last til it collapses?

To get there you do have to follow the side trail down this crevice in the limestone, and with the warm temperatures but shaded crevice it was very icy.  You can see the water dripping off the cliff from the snow up above, so the limestone was all wet.  I worked my way down slowly and carefully and was grateful for the sharp feet on my tripod walking stick!

****

More pictures to come once I edit them, and more waterfalls to visit.  Today was my adventure on William's behalf, for his birthday.  He would have been 40 today.

14 comments:

  1. Spectacular captures! Wow!

    A day that's always going to loom large for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The birthdays are hard! You remembered William in a wonderful way! The slow shots make the water look like a veil.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least his memory will always bring you Peace and Happiness.
    Be safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like all these shots, but think I prefer the slow shots. I bet the sound was deafening there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A wonderful tribute to William, and I am sure he would have been in your heart and thoughts all day. Slow settings, beautiful, and the top ones, they remind me of the saying " Life is mostly froth and bubble...".

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sure William was as proud of his father as his father is of him. Blessings to you and yours on his birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What beautiful shots. I do like the 'slow' ones. Of course waterfalls are lovely no matter what and used as a tribute to a loved one is awesome.
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks like Winter's snow is melting fast. Lovely shots. Carol

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE the waterfall shots. I like the slow water ones. Looks like satin.
    A fine way to spend William's birthday. Peace, comfort, and happy memories to you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful waterfall photos, being a "slow falls" fan I especially liked those. Your son will live on in your memory and the memories of those who knew and loved him, enjoy those memories.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Frozen (and non-frozen) waterfalls are so much fun to photograph!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Bruce Trail leads you on some great adventures. Love how you captured the fall, frozen in motion. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great show of waterfalls for the birthday memorial. Outstanding photos.

    ReplyDelete