Monday, January 26, 2015

A Calm Day on Georgian Bay

I enjoyed a cold couple of hours to put in two weeks ago taking pictures of Georgian Bay along the shoreline in Meaford while the chief fabric artist in the family was attending a local quilting gathering.  The bay was calm and looked more grey than blue, but it's always nice to be there.

I shot quite a few photos just trying to capture the flashing red light on the small light tower out on the breakwater.  I think I actually got it on this one.

This is the view I was shooting, the light tower on the right, and a smaller warning light on the left.

There was a shiny surface of ice in places, and lots of ice on the end of the breakwater, but most of the bay is open water, a dark grey today.  It's the warning light that's crooked, not the picture.

I've photographed this view to the west before, with bright blue water and waves rolling in along the boulder-lined shore..

A shrub covered in wave-splashed ice, built up in thin layers over time.

I had to be careful not to go too close to the shore as the first six feet or so were treacherous with a surface of ice over the boulders that line this shore.  I kept seeing that breakwater in the background though..

In places the ice was built up thickly on the boulders - you can see how it's splashed up on some of the trees to the right - but it didn't appear that we'd had any serious storms here to create bigger ice sculptures.

It remains too bitterly cold here, though today was sunny.  By the time it hits -23°C (-10°F), I'm ready to stay inside, and when there's a stiff breeze out of the north making it effectively -25 or -30, you're at risk of frostbit walking outdoors.  So I'm crossing my fingers for some nice -5° weather and sunshine!

Linking to:


23 comments:

  1. It is utterly gorgeous like this, but yes, around that shoreline you have to be very careful this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could look at these all day, just to try and get some coolness down here. 33.3 C the other day, love those frozen waves. And the quilting lady?? Lucky girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sure looks cold but beautiful too. Very nice photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous photos - love the way the ice formed on the grass, but dang that is too cold for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The ice and snow formations look beautiful there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. From our Arizona vantage point it's nice to see those ice & snow lakeshore photos. Been awhile since we've spent a winter at home in Bayfield. Don't miss the cold at all but it is nice to see some good snowy photos now & again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - lots of snow and ice! Very pretty on a clear winter's day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's some really fantastic photos, and lots of snow and ice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What gorgeous icescapes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very beautiful photos of winter landscape!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow so pretty! i've never seen snow like that

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those photos are stunning. You must be very sure footed to have walked over that snow and ice. well done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i have been searching for some frozen water to photograph with no luck. we are getting hammered right now at the jersey shore with blizzard like weather and very low temperatures. i will be on the hunt soon, once again!!!!!

    these images are especially beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, it is an icy cold world there. I love the views from the bench and of the light tower.. Great post, have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just love your "ice sculptures" with nature as the sculptor! The one with the lighthouse is really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great shots as usual. You really catch the spirit of the place.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful photos ! I haven't been to Meaford since I was kid , we had family up there on the lake I loved it there in the summers . Thanks for sharing , Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my goodness, these are perfectly awesome pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  19. beautiful photos, must be very cold!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love that first photo!!! Wow that ice looks so thick and so very cold!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love that icy shrub. What great pictures! You are a very talented photographer. I am so enjoying your stuff. :-)

    ReplyDelete