Monday, September 15, 2014

Mid-September Flowers

Here are a few more of the flowers still in bloom in the garden at the moment.  I've found two more that are just in bud, and will bloom shortly, provided the frost doesn't get them first!

The first of these is Ligularia, with it's striking bright yellow/almost orange blossoms, and it provides a significant patch of colour in the garden in September.

This is what the plant looks like, with large heart-shaped leaves that are usually quite purplish underneath.  Worth having in the garden for the September colour.

We have several Phlox now in bloom, ranging from white through several shades of pink, to deeper purple, below.  Always another late summer splash of colour.


I really like the fine-textured blooms of the Liatris; we have both purple and white varieties.

And there are lots of brown-eyed susans around in some large  patches; they'll go on til frost hits.

On the other hand, the Hollyhocks are just about done - the last bloom on the tallest plant here.

I like this fine-textured bright pink Astilbe.

This is a new one to me, Garlic Chives, in the corner of the veggie garden, in front of the last of the tomatoes.

And of course we have a few tall sunflowers still that the Goldfinch and Chickadees are constantly visiting.  Ours are a nice orange colour this year.

Linking to:
/

10 comments:

  1. I am not familiar with that top flower. Your flowers are looking great and yes the frost just shuts everything down. I hope it is late this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely collection of blooms. The sunflowers are gorgeous. And I love the Black-eyed Susans and the Phlox. Beautiful photos, thanks for sharing. Have a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Captured well nature's beautiful midsummer flowers for OWT! Divine!

    artmusedog and carol (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What colour at the end of the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. absolutely exquisite… such colorful abundance! I do hope you will share these with I Heart Macro too:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The susans are going on here as well. This is the first year I've been familiar with the name for them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your gardens are still looking beautiful. I adore all the purple!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many lovely flowers which I never get to see.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Colour still glowing well into your autumn, but today my 100% favourite is the hollyhock, print, frame, make into cards, just gorgeous. Cheers, jean.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love ligularia, but have killed a couple. I don't think it likes the sand.

    ReplyDelete